Graduation Under AB 167/216

Resource Link

What is AB 167/216 Graduation?

You can receive a high school diploma if you:

  • Transfer after your second year of high school;
  • Are behind on credits and off track for graduation;
  • Complete state graduation requirements (130 credits);
  • Pass the CAHSEE; and remain in high school for four years.

How do I know if I can graduate under AB 167/216?

Step 1. Your new school must review your transcripts from your previous schools.

Step 2. Using this information, your new school must decide if you are eligible for AB 167/216 graduation.

Step 3. Within 30 days of transferring, your school must provide you, your education rights holder, and social worker with a decision, in writing, about your eligibility. Keep this document in case you transfer schools. If you are 18, you are your own education rights holder.

Step 4. If you are eligible, only your education rights holder can decide whether you should graduate under AB 167/216. Your school cannot force you to graduate under AB 167/216.

If eligible, should I graduate under AB 167/216?


  • Receive a regular high school diploma
  • Graduate on time with classmates
  • May be eligible to attend community college for free


  • Usually not eligible to apply directly to a four year university
  • Inappropriate for youth with low academic skills
  • No longer eligible for extra-curricular high school activities, including sports

What are the state graduation requirements?

You must complete the following 130 credits:

  • English: 30 credits
  • Math: 20 credits
  • Social Sciences: 30 credits
  • Science: 20 credits
  • Visual/Performance Arts or Foreign Language: 10 credits
  • Physical Education: 20 credits

Beyond Foster Care: Need for Services Beyond the Age of 21

This survey is for California former foster, Independent Living Program (ILP) eligible probation, and dual status youth ages 22 to 35. The purpose of the study is to explore the experiences and need for services of California former foster, ILP eligible probation, and dual status youth who are between the ages of 22 and 35. Participation in the study would last about 20 to 35 minutes. You may choose to withdraw your participation at any time. Your answers will be confidential. The information will be kept in a secure database with no identifying information for the duration of the study. 

The findings of this study will be used to provide suggestions for programs and services that will improve long-term outcomes for former foster, ILP eligible probation, and dual status youth. 

Visit this link in order to complete the survey! 


Additional Resources

Education - This is a contributing Drupal Theme
Design by WeebPal.